The weather is getting warmer, the days are getting longer, and the kids are beginning their summer vacations. It’s a wonderful time of the year. Without the craziness of school and after-school activities, everything slows down and feels more relaxed.
Another great thing about summer? It’s BBQ season! Nothing smells better than the savory aroma of dinner cooking on the grill. Summer is the perfect time to invite friends and family over, and enjoy some great food and even better company.
This summer, while you are waiting for the grill to heat up (it always seems to take forever!), let me suggest the perfect BBQ-friendly appetizer for your guests to munch on. This homemade queso dip recipe is so creamy and delicious – everyone is sure to love it!
Homemade Queso Dip Recipe
With garlic, tomatoes and sharp cheddar cheese, this easy queso dip recipe is silky-smooth and full of flavor. Pair with your favorite tortilla chips for a pre-BBQ appetizer that no one can resist!
- 1 (7 oz) block of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 oz) can of evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a medium pot, saute the onion and garlic in butter until the onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes to the the pot and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, grate the cheddar cheese and then add in the cornstarch. Toss to combine.
- Add the condensed milk and cheese to the pot and cook over medium heat until the cheese is melted and the mixture begins to thicken. Stir constantly.
- If mixture becomes too thick, add a little milk or water to thin.
- Remove from heat and gently mix in cilantro.
- Serve warm.
The next time you’re having friends over for a BBQ and need a quick appetizer, or even if you’re just in the mood for a cheesy snack, make a pot of this quick and easy homemade queso dip. You will not be disappointed!