On Friday morning, a little boy ran up to me on the playground at school. He wiggled excitedly and asked me if it was really September now. I had to think about it for a minute. I looked down at the date on my phone and realized the little boy was correct. How did September sneak up so quickly?!’
Fall is one of my favorite seasons. After the scorching heat of summer, the cooler weather is a welcome relief. While we still have a few weeks until the official commencement of fall, I took advantage of the long weekend, and made a big batch of freezer apple pie filling. Nothing says “fall” like a decadent apple pie! This freezer apple pie filling recipe is one of my favorites. Not only is it simple and quick, but the aroma is amazing! Simmering apples with cinnamon, and nutmeg – so yummy!
Freezer Apple Pie Filling
- 7 Granny Smith apples
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Peel and slice apples.
- Pour lemon juice over apples and stir until apples are coated with lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a medium sized pot, add water and heat over medium high heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Add to water.
- Stirring constantly, bring liquid to a boil and then continue stirring for 1 - 2 minutes (until mixture thickens).
- Add apples and bring liquid back to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook until apples are tender - about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place in freezer safe containers and freeze.
Quick Brown Sugar Crumb Topping Recipe
One of my family’s favorite ways to enjoy apple pie filling is with a decadent crumb topping. It’s so simple to make and takes less then 10 minutes! Once the crumb topping is done, just sprinkle it over the apple pie filling and then top with a dollop of ice cream. It’s a delicious dessert everyone is sure to love!
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup oatmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients and spread evenly on a baking sheet.
- Cook until toasted (about 8 minutes).
Talk to Me
I am looking forward to fall – the cooler weather, colorful leaves and cozy sweaters. While I wait for fall to officially begin, however, I will just have to be patient and enjoy yummy fall-inspired recipes like apple pie!
How do like your apple pie filling – with pie crust or brown sugar crumble?
Pin this recipe for later!
Latest posts by Rebekah (see all)
- Flight of the Bumblebee: Abstract Art Project for Kids - January 20, 2018
- 10 Insanely Fun Crafts Your Kids Need To Make Now - January 15, 2018
- 10 Crazy Good Valentine’s Day Treats - January 13, 2018