There really is nothing better than a homemade pizza. The fresh-from-the-oven crust, gooey mozzarella cheese, and delicious toppings – it’s all just so darn good!
My husband had a few days off from work this last week, and I begged him to make his famous homemade pizza margherita. He makes the absolute BEST pizza from scratch – it seriously makes me weak in the knees. He agreed and baked us a couple of pies.
After everything was ready, we had an impromptu family pizza party! My husband, Ella (my 4 year old) and I, all cuddled up on the couch, rented a movie, and stuffed our faces with delicious homemade pizza. It was the perfect evening!
Related: Easy Vegetable Bacon Soup Recipe
Because everyone on the planet (okay, almost everybody) enjoys a great pizza, I asked my husband to share his super easy way to make homemade pizza. And ya know what? He said yes! Read on and enjoy!
The Easy Way to Make Homemade Pizza
What makes this pizza so special is the dough. Learning how to make great pizza dough is definitely an art, but this recipe is actually pretty easy and quick. It’s done in 1 hour!
- 3 C flour
- 1 C luke warm water
- 1 instant dry yeast packet
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 T olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix it with the fork until it becomes difficult (or a mixer with a dough hook, if you have one).
- Kneed your dough for about 3 minutes, or until it becomes smooth.
- Place the dough ball in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit for 45 minutes in a warm place. The dough should double.
- Next, if you have a pizza stone, preheat the oven to 500 and start getting this hot.
- After this, prepare your toppings. You can slice the mozzarella for that rustic look of uneven red and white, or grate the cheese to give the pie an even covering.
- Once the dough is ready, on a piece of parchment paper, stretch the dough out in the shape you would like.
- Top with sauce, cheese, and any other toppings (save any herbs until it comes out of the oven).
- Transfer the pie to the pizza stone (I like to keep it on the parchment paper too to make things as easy as possible).
- Cook for about 8 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and the crust begins to brown.
Recipe yields two 10" pizzas.
Once you have the dough done, you can add any ingredients you want. For this pizza margherita, we used fresh mozzarella and whole basil leaves. Yummy!
So How Much Does it Cost to Make Pizza at Home?
When it comes to food, it is always a good idea to see if it’s cheaper to make it at home or just buy from a store. Sometimes buying IS cheaper!
So for this homemade pizza, let’s look at the cost breakdown:
- A little olive oil: $.25
- 1/2 jar of Newman’s pasta sauce: $1
- Fresh basil: $2
- Yeast packet: $0.75
- 8oz Mozzarella cheese: $1.75
- 1 lb of bread flour: $.50
Total cost = $6.25 for 2 pizzas.
That works out to be a little over $3 per pizza, and it tastes so much better too! Making homemade pizzas is definitely the way to go!
I hope your family enjoys this quick, easy, and CHEAP homemade pizza recipe! If you have any questions about the recipe, leave a comment below and I will try to help.
For more budget friendly dinner ideas, check out my Main Dishes Board on Pinterest.
Like this post? Pin it for later!