The heat this summer might actually kill me. For weeks now, temps have reached over 105 degrees every…single…day. I shudder to think what July and August will bring.
It hasn’t been all bad though. My daughter and I have been spending our days alternating between the neighborhood pool, a near by splash pad, and the various misters that line so many of the streets here. Basically we’ve been staying wet most of the day, and it’s been a blast!
The one downside, as you might expect, is that all our time in the sun and water has left us with skin that’s dry and uncomfortable. I experimented a bit and came up with this DIY After Sun Lotion. With cocoa butter, vitamin e and aloe vera, this lotion soothes burns and rehydrates sun parched skin. It’s the perfect balm after a long day outside.
DIY After Sun Lotion Recipe
- 2 TBS cocoa butter
- 3 – 4 drops vitamin e oil
- 1 TBS aloe vera gel
- 2 TBS coconut oil (or another oil of your choice)
1. Melt the cocoa butter and coconut oil. In a metal mixing bowl, add both the cocoa butter and coconut oil. Either place the mixing bowl over a double boiler or simply place the bowl outside in the sun.
2. Once the mixture is melted enough that it can be easily stirred, mix in the other ingredients.
3. Place the bowl in the fridge to set up.
4. Before it becomes fully hardened, use a hand mixture to create a luxurious whipped texture.
5. Place your finished after sun lotion in a jar.
After a day in the sun, rub a small amount of lotion into your skin and enjoy the instant hydration!